Welcome to The Phoenix School, where personalized learning is at the heart of our educational philosophy. In this blog, we’ll explore the benefits of personalized learning and how it can prepare students for the new economy.
Personalized learning is a powerful approach to education that puts students in charge of their own learning. It allows them to choose what they learn and at what pace, giving them the opportunity to excel in areas they are passionate about and take more time in areas they struggle with. At The Phoenix School, we believe that every student is unique and deserves an education tailored to their individual needs.
Here are six benefits of personalized learning:
- Moves students along at their own pace – Each student has their own strengths and weaknesses, and the pace of learning is not the same for everyone. Personalized learning allows students to move at their own pace, which reduces barriers between students of different skill levels. It also helps to prevent talented students from becoming bored and distracted, while giving struggling students the time and support they need to succeed.
- Allows students to take initiative for their own education – Students perform best when they are intrinsically motivated, which means they are motivated to learn simply because they enjoy it. Personalized learning makes students intrinsically motivated to learn by allowing them to choose their own path out of a set of options. This gives them the freedom to explore topics that are personally meaningful to them, which in turn leads to greater engagement and better learning outcomes.
- Gives students tech skills – Personalized learning is made easier and more effective thanks to modern ed tech. Our students use collaboration software like Google Docs, Prezi, FlipGrid, and Zoom, just to mention a few, which helps them to practice learning and working in a technological setting. These skills are essential for future careers, as work is rapidly shifting towards online work and virtual collaboration.
- Helps students learn from each other – Personalized learning does not mean that students learn in isolation. Instead, it creates opportunities for collaboration and peer review. Students can choose their own path, but their path can still overlap with other students, which leads to a wider breadth of topics explored in the classroom. Our students also have the opportunity to teach or present their knowledge to the class, which is an excellent way to prove their learning.
- Sidesteps problems with standardized tests – Standardized tests are ubiquitous in modern-day schools, but their efficacy is questionable. Personalized learning sidesteps these problems by allowing students to choose how to prove their learning. For example, they could make a presentation or creative project. This encourages creativity and critical thinking, which are essential skills for success in the new economy.
- Prepares students for the new economy – The new economy is not a “one-size-fits-all” economy. In order to fit into the needs of the new economy, workers have to be prepared to forge their own path. This is exactly what personalized learning encourages. Students in a personalized learning setting will learn how to assess their own strengths and weaknesses to decide their own path. They will also develop skills such as creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration, which are highly valued in the new economy.
At The Phoenix School, we believe that personalized learning is the future of education. We invite prospective families to book a tour and experience our approach to education firsthand. With personalized learning, your child can achieve their full potential and be prepared for success in the 21st century. Contact us today to learn more.